Monday, December 22, 2014

Our (almost) Chanukah Tragedy

So Saturday night we lit the 5th candle in the Hannukah menorah, and all the cats were present, and we opened gifts and had a wonderful time.


Well, Faraday had a grievance to air, but that's because we're making him wait until the 8th night to open his Secret Paw gifts and his package from Aunt Connie. (And by the way, some brave soul needs to tell him they're for Allie and Maxwell, too....)


Maxwell hung out on the discarded gift wrap, until he decided to go exploring amongst the gifts.


Mind you, there were five adults in the room, carefully watching him. But still, before any of us could react, he jumped onto the table with the menorah ... and his tail brushed across the lit candles.

We all leapt up to "put him out" (thankfully he was only singed). But still.


Please let this be a warning to all during the holiday season:
open flames and your pet do not mix.

Even if you think you're monitoring the situation, all it takes is one brief second, and severe damage could occur.


I should have known better. I did know better. I thought I could prevent it. And I couldn't.

Protect your pets  ~ go electric.
(and cover the cords from pets who chew them!)

***
Last Day! Enter until 11:59 PM!
http://www.atonkstail.com/2014/12/so-ya-think-mypetloveslg4ktv-ad.html

40 comments:

  1. Glad he wasn't hurt! We think Caren posted that they have a flameless menorah -- obviously a good idea, even though not quite the same.

    Purrs and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMC, we are very glad the situation was not worse. Thank you for the warning. Mom and Dad will be very careful about candles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, we've uncovered our eyes now. Whew, that was a close one!
    Mommy had a kitteh that singed her furs on the gas heater once, it scared the living daylights out of her, too.
    We kittehz can get into trouble in the blink of an eye. Good save!
    One electric menorah coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, nooo! We're glad that Maxwell is all right. It may be true that you have to use flames to fulfill the Hanukkah mitzvah of lightning the candles and electric doesn't technically count, but kindness to animals is a mitzvah, too. Other than Maxwell's tail, we hope it was a joyous celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes - not exactly the holiday spirit you were hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Maxwell (and you!), so glad the little guy is okay. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad he is not a black cat now. Tell him that is not the way to bring awareness to the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My long-haired white cat swiped her tail through a candle years ago. I managed to get clear glass covers for all of the candles I burn from then on. Glad Maxwell's tail is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THAT is the EXACT reason I never use regular candles unless they are in a lower holder where the flames can't flicker out of. My Angel Bobo once singed his tail too....I had a candle out and he casually walked past, sat down and his tail was in the flame. I use a battery operated Menorah, I LOVE IT.....I keep it on all night, it is less expensive too (since Chanukah candles extinguish in like 3 seconds lol) Thank goodness he is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go electric is a good idea. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear...I am so glad Maxwell is okay. Open flames are never a good idea with pets around.
    Happy Chanukah!
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  12. YIKES Maxwell we are so glad you were only smokin! We always knew you were smokin hot! But Mom traded in all of her real candles for battery operated one so that no kitty could ever be harmed. They work as well and Mom loves the light, plus nearly all of hers has a timer so they go on and off all on their own. (DID I tell you Mom is lazy?MOL)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad he didn't get burned. After that, he should get to open his presents right away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That could have been bad! Mom is scared of fire so we never light a candle and our fireplace is gas, no worries that way. Silly kitties getting into trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  15. With my fluffy tail, my human totally could not risk an open flame. Which kind of makes her sad because she loves (real) lit candles.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think I wanna be the one to tell Faraday - he's got a good "stink eye" going there! We're glad nothing worse than a bit of a tail singe happened with the open flames.....Hope you're enjoying Chanukah otherwise - we send holiday hugs.

    Love, Sammy and Mom Pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. yeah, fire is scary! I heard about one of my friends who was on fire and he didn't notice and his mom started panicking and stomped out his tail. He walked across the stove. He's fine, though. But yeah, good advice! - Crepes. PS. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We're glad none got burned and that Maxwell is OK ! Since our Angel Hercule got the fur of his beautiful fluffy Persian tail burned (only the fur, luckily !), no candles in the house any more ! Mom keep it for her nail studio, out of kitty's reach ! Purrs

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yikes!!! We're so glad disaster was averted. You're right...no matter how careful you are, stuff happens. We hope your celebration got right back on track and everyone had a wonderful time together.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad it was not worse and everything was okay. I do have candles on the dining table sometimes, but Flynn has never attempted to jump up. They are still never left unattended when they are lit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh thank goodness everything turned out okay with Maxwell! Happy Hannukah to you and we wish you wonderful holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy to hear things were OK !
    That's because you were in the room.
    Now you can get back to enjoying your celebration.
    Happy Chanukah!
    Purrs Georgia and Julie,
    Treasure and JJ

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad Maxwell is okay! Crazy how quickly they can get into trouble; Ozzy once curled his whiskers in less than a minute when he stuck his face over a votive candle. Happy Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mom Paula has thrown away most of her candles. We're so fast that she's afraid we could really hurt ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Maxwell, I'm glad you didn't get burned. My mom doesn't allow candles in the house because they are not kitty safe (and she's not fond of things burning in the house). The only exception is a birthday candle, but that gets blown out right away. Maybe your mom can get an electric menorah for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We're glad disaster was diverted. Us cats are pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Maxwell! You just used up one of your lives!!:p

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh! My! Cats and Candles is like oil and water. Mes glad Max only got singed!
    Kisses
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Whew! I'm sure that scared you. I'm glad he is okay. Have a happy and safe holiday! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. So glad you are OK, Maxwell. My mom loves real candles too. She hasn't been able to have any for years because of all of us kitties. In the new house, she can have candles in the living room and dining room and close the door to keep us in the family room where we can be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, that was a close call. I recall a similar situation with our Angel Onyx many years ago - it involved candles and a bubble-bath - silly boy jumped over one and singed his belly.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That sure sounds very scary. Glad it ended up all right. You are so right, things can happen so fast. We sure do wish you a very nice holiday. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a good reminder. I'm glad nothing serious happened. I know you are extremely cautious around your babies but yet they find the way to get in trouble! Have a wonderful holiday xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Chanukah! Glad he wasn’t hurt. Candles and flames are dangerous. Chizzy jumped up on the stove once and set his foot on fire. Good thing gramma was in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMC, that is SO scary! We're sure glad Maxwell was okay. Happy Hanukkah, dear ones.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ooooh...Maxwell,glad to see yoo ok dood. Mom had a meezer named Zooey (RIP love) before me dat used to sit on da floor vents in winter to get warm and 1 time she sat too long and burnt da hairs off her butt! She was ok, no skin burns but she had a *shhhh* vet visit dat week...just try an explain dat one to a vet! Tank goodness vet knew Zooey and meezerlies. So,moral of dis story? Don't sit on heat vents!

    ReplyDelete
  37. How scary for you all! I know how you feel! I got a candle for Christmas and was not thrilled but couldn't say much. Oh well, it will be great for re-gifting!

    ReplyDelete

Coolio! A comment? For US?