Normally, we city folk wouldn't be too interested in this, but a news report broke a few weeks ago about a boy bitten by a rattlesnake in one of our suburbs. Yikes!
Having grown up around rattlers and other poisonous critters in Texas, I understand how critical education and preparedness are for snakebite survival. When I was a kid, one of our cats was bitten by a rattler. And survived it. It's because we - and our vet - knew what to do.
Frito, a floofy orange tabby boy, was rushed to the vet and given antivenin. It wasn't a pretty recovery - he lost all his fur and the top layer of skin down the side of his body where he was bitten. But it eventually all grew back and he recovered fully.
Click here to view the full image - used with permission - originally posted on http://snakebites.murdoch.edu.au